My thoughts on Psalm 111:10

Psalm 111:10 “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all those who practice it have a good understanding. His praise endures forever!”

Me being a very unwise person read this verse and I was like “Aha! here is the answer I have been looking for that tells me how to get wisdom!” But then so many questions flooded my mind: How do you fear God? What does fear mean? I thought God commands us not to fear? I think that this fear is not the common fear that we often face. Fear is typically associated with worry. For example: I fear when my dog is sick that it will die or I fear that my mom will walk into my room when its a disaster, but this is not the type of fear we are to have for God. Honestly, I have always struggled with the idea of fearing God. Aren't we supposed to come to Him like He is our friend? Doesn't He command us to come to Him in confidence? Doesn't the Bible say over and over again that He loves us and He cares for us? Why should I be afraid? Still I often struggle with that word, but the best answer I have is that God doesn’t ask that we are afraid of Him. He sees us as righteous, but He does ask that we don’t bring Him down to our level. We are to be reverently in awe of Him and the power that He possesses. We are to be in awe that that same power lives and works in us. If you lose your awe of God you are most likely forgetting who He is and all that He is. The awe of God is wisdom’s beginning. Realize that God cannot be put in a box. He does not abide by human terms. He is way bigger than we ever even realize. 

Application: Today I am going to draw a box and write 10 things that I know God can do, but I have a heard time believing in my heart.


Comments

Popular Posts