My Thoughts on Acts 5:29

Acts 5:29 “But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.”

If you read the context of this verse you see that Peter is standing before the high priest who just “strictly charged” him not to teach the name of the Jesus, and this is Peter’s response. This response could have costed him his life. It says in the following verses that they were angry and wanted to kill him. Peter probably knew the cost of his words, but it was more important to him that he obey God. He recognized his true authority and it was not the men standing in front of him. It turns out that God protected Peter and he did not lose his life that day, but as I sit here and study this verse I wonder if I would say the same thing regardless of the consequences. I have never and probably will never stand before an angry high priest, but do I obey God rather than men in the small things in my life as well? Do I listen primarily to the voice of God rather than the advice of a friend or the message of this world? Do I let the Holy Spirit move through me even when it seems awkward and I don’t know that people will think or say? Do I make my life about pleasing God or looking good for others? Who rules my life? Who has the ultimate say in my life? Let it be God.


Application: Instead of running to other people in the next week about my problems I will first run to God in prayer. Everyone can keep me accountable so if I start talking about things I am struggling with stop me and ask if I have prayed about it yet. 

Comments

Popular Posts