My thoughts on Galatians 5:13

Galatians 5:13 “For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.”

The progression of Galatians 5 up to this verse displays the incredible freedom that we have in Christ. One of my favorite verses is Galatians 5:1 “For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.” Something that was said during IBS class one time really stuck out to me. Because of the cross our chains are broken and we are free! But often times as Christians, even though we have been declared free, we pick up those broken chains and put them back on ourselves. Then we beg for Christ to free us and He just says I already have! You have to let yourself be free. These chains for me were religion and rules. I still have trouble understanding the grace and freedom I have in Christ Jesus. For years I felt so much condemnation in my heart for not living up to a certain standard. There is still many times even today where I feel this same condemnation. Because of Romans 8:1 I know this condemnation was not from God, and I realize that by trying to live up to a standard I was defeating the purpose of the cross. Over and over again I would pick up those chains of religion and cry out to God for grace and so many times He showed me that I just had to accept His grace! I already had it. I have this mindset that I have to earn His grace, but that is so far from the truth. His grace is freely mine. God please help me to bask in the grace you have for me. 


Application: Whenever I feel condemned for not living up to a certain standard in the next week I will say aloud Romans 8:1 “There is therefore now no condemnation in Christ Jesus.”

Comments

Popular Posts