My Thoughts On Luke 17:7-10


Luke 17:7-10 “Will any one of you who has a servant plowing or keeping sheep say to him when he has come in from the field, “Come at once and recline at table? Will he not rather say to him, “Prepare supper for me, and dress properly, and serve me while I eat and drink, and afterward you will eat and drink?” Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say “We are unworthy servants, we have only done what was our duty.”

In this passage in Luke Jesus painted a picture of our selfish hearts and how we want to be recognized, but then shows us how it really works. We are unworthy servants and we have only done what was our duty? After we plowed the fields, kept the sheep, prepared dinner, got dressed, and served dinner? We are unworthy servants? From my perspective we would be completely worthy of a reward, but then I look at the cross. In light of the cross nothing we could ever do in our lives for God would ever measure up to the point of making us worthy. That is why Jesus had to die to cover our sin. We all know that part, but we often choose to forget our part. The part that because Jesus died for us we are to live a life sold out for Him. He gave His life so that He could awaken new life within us. It is our duty. I will admit right here and now that I like to be recognized. I often do things to be recognized and rewarded. My motivation is for men and not for God. If I don’t get thanked, I often get bitter. This passage is a good reminder, but one I don’t really want to hear. After all I do in my life to the very end, I can only ever say that I have only done what is my duty. God, let that attitude of my heart.


Application: Although we are just unworthy servants and the work we are doing is just our duty for all of today I want to make it a point to thank everyone who does something for me. I want to notice and thank the people that don’t always get thanked just so I can encourage them in the work of the Lord. One example: I will thank Haley and the cooks at every meal. 

Comments

Popular Posts