My Thoughts On 2 Samuel 11:11-13

2 Samuel 11:11-13 “Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah dwell in booths, and my lord Joab and the servants of my lord are camping in the open field. Shall I then go to my house, to eat and to drink and to lie with my wife? As you live, as your soul lives, I will not do this thing.” Then David said to Uriah, “Remain here today also, and tomorrow I will send you back.” So Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next. And David invited him, and he ate in his presence and drank so that he made him drunk. And in the evening he went out to lie on his couch with the servants of his lord, but he did not go down to his house.”

This is David’s desperate attempt to cover up his own sin, but it is funny because Uriah does not do what David wants him to do so David ends up putting one of his best soldiers on the front lines of the battle so that he is killed so that David can take Bathsheba as his wife. Uriah’s dedication and care for the wellbeing of his nation is captivated in this passage. What if we treated the gospel like Uriah treated this battle? We see the need at hand and refuse to back down. Refuse to take a break. Uriah saw so much wrong in eating and drinking with his wife when his people were dying in battle. He refused to go home. He refused to sit back and relax while the battle was still raging. How many times do we kick up our feet in relaxation because we want a break from the raging spiritual battle? I do realize that life is a balance and we cannot with every breath be telling people the gospel on the streets, but we must realize that the battle never stops raging. No matter where you are in location or in circumstances the spiritual battle doesn’t stop. In the Kingdom of God there are not “spiritual breaks,” but rather our life is a testimony of the gospel. Every day. Every moment. I confess that many times I separate my ministry life and my personal life. I go to an outreach and share the gospel with people on the streets, but on my day off I don’t even think to share the gospel with the lady who makes me my iced mocha. God help me to recognize and be open to your voice even when I am not in a particular outreach. Help me to hear that voice compelling me to speak to people wherever I go. 


Application: Next time we go out of this property I will pray for God’s voice to show me who he would have me speak to.

Comments

Popular Posts