My Thoughts On Genesis 22:9-12

Genesis 22:9-12 “When they came to the place of which God had told him, Abraham built the altar there and laid the wood in order and bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, on top of the wood. Then Abraham reached out his hand and took the knife to slaughter his son. But the angle of the Lord called to him from Heaven and said “Abraham, Abraham!” And he said “Here I am.” He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withhold your son, your only son, from me.”

I have been constantly reminded of this passage of scripture in the last few weeks because of the faith Abraham had in this situation and the faith I often lack. I think the thing that hits me the hardest through this story is the fact that Abraham did not know the end of the story before he hiked up that mountain to sacrifice his son. He hiked up that mountain knowing the Promiser more precious than the promise. Because Abraham knew that His faith was in the One who promised rather than the promise, He could hike up that mountain and sacrifice his only son because He knew the Promiser was faithful to fulfill His promise. We are not called to make the promise happen we are only called to continue fixing our eyes on our God even when there is indeed a promise. The reason why God does not spell out our lives for us and tell us exactly what the rest of our lives will look like is because placing our faith in Him when we know what is going to happen is more difficult than placing our faith in Him when we don’t know. Faith is very difficult when we have eyes. We often mistake faith in God for faith in things we can see. Faith is the evidence of things unseen. When God reveals something to us about our future or gives us a promise we cannot trust in the call, but rather our faith has to be solely in the hands of the Caller. This is a very difficult thing for me because I want answers. I want to plan out my life. I want it to be this way and not that way. It is all about me and what I want. But God has called me to a higher place. A place where no matter what I don’t know or even when I do know (and it is far harder to trust) to place 100% of my faith in my God. 100% is the minimum. No less



Application: I will talk to Alisha about my application.

Comments

Popular Posts