My Thoughts On Genesis 22:1-3

Genesis 22:1-3 After these things God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” and he said, “Here I am.” He said “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you. So Abraham rose early in the morning, saddled his donkey, and took two of his young men with him, and his son Isaac. And he cut the wood for the burnt offering and arose and went to the place of which God had told him.


This passage shows a lot about the heart of Abraham and the deep and clear relationship he had with the Father. I long for this. At times I feel as though I can relate to this story. Coming to Ignite and dropping everything has been a test. God desires for my hope to be solely planted in Him. Over my seven months away from home so far there has been thing upon thing in which the Lord has asked me to sacrifice. My favorite part about this story is that Abraham had a promise that through his son, Isaac, there would come a great nation and when God called Abraham to sacrifice his only son he didn’t try to figure it out. He didn’t try to make God’s plan happen. He recognized that God didn’t need any help fulfilling His promise to Abraham and that he could follow God’s voice whatever the cost. Abraham rose early and traveled for three days to go sacrifice his son. He didn’t waver. He didn’t wait. See, we know the outcome. We know that God provided a lamb and Abraham and Isaac did indeed walk off that mountain together, but when Abraham was hiking that mountain he didn’t know what was going to happen. When Abraham was preparing the altar he didn’t know the outcome and even when Abraham lifted up the knife to slaughter his son he didn’t know if the Lord would intervene. He was just being obedient to what the Lord asked of Him. In the end, the PROMISER was more precious to him than the promise. Can I say that of myself? There are calls the Lord has placed on my life that sometimes I try to figure out and I try to make it happen, but I know that if Abraham was sitting here he would tell me to let God do it. God was faithful to give him Isaac in his old age and Abraham knew from then on he could trust the Lord to be faithful to keep his promises. Just live. Follow the voice of the Lord. His promises will come to pass. Do not fear. 

Comments

Popular Posts